Residency Application and Matching
John Muir Health accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) only. Upon completion of your ERAS application, you also need to register for the match program through the National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP) and select the program(s) you would like to match. Our NRMP Program Code is 1917120C0.
Application and Interview Criteria
Interviews will be held virtually for the 2023-2024 interview season
To be considered for application and interview for JMH FM Residency, the following will be required:
- Official documentation that certifies satisfactory completion of requirements for graduation from a medical school approved by The Medical Board of California
- Graduation must within the last 1 year. May 1, 2022.
- Valid and current ECFMG certification and ability to start residency June 2024
- Passing score on the ECFMG English Language Proficiency.
- Certified ECFMG certificate must be in-hand at the time of application submission.
- In conversation the applicant must demonstrate a clear command of spoken English, both in clarity of enunciation and pronunciation and in conversational understanding.
- US Citizen or a Permanent Resident. We are unable to sponsor J or H visas at this time.
- Passing scores on USMLE Step 1 and 2 with max of 1 failure:
- USMLE 2 score is required to be ranked. We will not be able to rank applicant if USMLE 2 score is not received by January 10, 2024
- -Or- passing scores on COMLEX 1 and 2 with max of 1 failure:
- COMLEX 2 score is required to be ranked. We will not be able to rank applicant if COMLEX 2 score is not received by January 10, 2024
- COMLEX 2 PE: pass required, no failure accepted
A minimum of three letters of recommendation are required, with one being from a primary care physician and must reflect U.S. primary care clinical experience with a minimum of one month direct patient care. Our staff will not read more than three letters of recommendation.
- Research experience will not be counted as clinical experience
- Deadline for application: December 1, 2023
In addition, the applicant must meet all other eligibility criteria established by the John Muir Health System.
"My time at John Muir for my inpatient medicine clerkship was an exceptional learning experience. It was a perfect balance of autonomy in caring for my own patients and collaboration with the attending and residents. Furthermore, the patient population is very diverse and I felt I had a wide exposure to a variety of bread-and-butter disease processes as well as more rare cases."
J.L- Touro University
"I was impressed with the quality of patient care, quality of the education and the accommodating staff that helped make this experience excellent."
K.K. - UCSF 3rd year medical student
Post Graduate Year 1 applicants must submit:
- ERAS application
- Personal statement/biography
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcript
- Dean’s letter
- Letters of reference from three faculty members (clinical years)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE) scores
- COMLEX scores
Residency Interview Day
Typical Resident Interview Schedule
Day of Interview
The official interview day starts with a Program Overview at our Family Medicine Residency Practice and a Welcome from our Program Director. Candidates will then participate in interviews with our faculty, staff, and residents. From there, candidates will move to an informal virtual Q&A with the Residents and end the day with our Program Director for final questions and a Wrap up.
How To Apply For A 4th Year Sub- Internship
We are currently accepting Sub-Internship applications until April 2023. View details about our sub-internship program, including how to apply.