MyChart Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MyChart?
- Is there a fee to use MyChart?
- How do I sign up?
- Is there a mobile app?
- Who do I contact if I have further questions?
Your Medical Record
- When can I see my test results in MyChart?
- Why haven’t I gotten a notification about my test result yet?
- What do I do if haven’t heard from my provider regarding my test result?
- Why are certain test results not shared electronically via MyChart?
- What clinical notes are available in MyChart?
- Why can’t I see my clinical notes from my visits before February 9, 2021?
- How do I request a change to my clinical note?
- If some of my health information on MyChart is not correct, what should I do?
- If I send a message to my doctor, when can I expect a reply?
MyChart For My Family
- Can I view a family member's health record in MyChart?
- Can I ask questions regarding a family member from my MyChart account?
- Can my spouse and I share one MyChart account?
- How can my 12-17-year-old get access to their MyChart account?
After I Have Enrolled
- Can you send me a new activation code as I have lost it, let it expire or did not receive it?
- Where can I update my personal information (e.g., home address, e-mail or change my password)?
- My username isn't working. What should I do?
- I forgot my MyChart username. How can I retrieve it?
- I tried to retrieve my username through the Forgot Username link, but it didn’t work. What should I do?
- I forgot my password. What should I do?
- The password reset link that was sent to me didn’t work. What do I do?
- My security question answers don't work. What should I do?
- I can’t remember the answers to my security questions. What should I do?
- How is MyChart secure?
- I was logged out of MyChart, what happened?
- What do I need to use MyChart?
- My activation code does not work, what should I do?
MyChart offers patients personalized and secure online access to portions of their medical records. It enables you to securely use the Internet to help manage and receive information about your health. With MyChart, you can use the Internet to:
- Request medical appointments
- View your health summary from the MyChart electronic health record
- View test results and clinical notes
- Request prescription refills
- Access trusted health information resources
- Communicate electronically and securely with your medical care team
- Access billing statements and pay bills online
MyChart is a free service offered to our patients.
If you are a new user, you will need to activate your MyChart account using one of the following methods:
- New to John Muir Health or no activation code - Visit MyChart or the MyChart mobile app, click "Ready to create a new account", then click "Start here to create your MyChart Account". Enter your personal details, confirm your identity, and create a login and password. For patients new to John Muir Health, you will also be able to create an account.
- Received a text or email from us - If you recently scheduled an appointment or visited your provider, you may receive an email or text from John Muir Health with a link for instant activation. Click the link and follow the instructions to set up your username and password.
- Request or have an activation code - You may request an activation code from your doctor’s office. For your convenience, this code is also included on your After Visit Summary (AVS). Visit MyChart or the MyChart mobile app, click "Ready to create a new account" and follow the instructions.
If you previously had a MyJohnMuirHealth account, you can log in to MyChart or the MyChart mobile app with your same username and password.
If you need assistance, call our Patient Support Center at (925) 941-2001. Please note that our Patient Support Center is not able to schedule patient appointments.
Yes. MyChart has a mobile app for both iOS and Android. After you have downloaded the app, select John Muir Health from the list of organizations.
You may call our Patient Support Center at (925) 941-2001 or, after logging into MyChart, select “Ask a Question” from the Messages menu and choose "Customer Service Question". Please note that our Patient Support Center is not able to schedule patient appointments.
Generally within 1-4 days. Certain test results are not released online. Please contact your doctor’s office if you do not see your test results online after 5 days.
To prevent overloading you with information, you will only receive one notification of new test results per eight hour period. If multiple test results are available, you will see them when you log in to your MyChart account.
You may receive test results in your MyChart account prior to your provider or nurse viewing them. As always, providers will follow-up with patients regarding test results in a timely manner during normal work hours. If you are awaiting results from a test sensitive in nature, you may want to wait to view your results until you have discussed them with your provider.
Your provider can determine which types of test results are able to be accessed through MyChart. Further, tests of a very sensitive nature are not released to MyChart.
Clinical notes are written by your healthcare provider during your visit to summarize important information. The following clinical notes are available in MyChart:
- Consultation note
- Discharge Summary note
- History & Physical
- Procedure note
- Progress note
You may submit a request to our Health Information Department to view other clinical notes in your medical record.
Only clinical notes created on or after February 9, 2021 are automatically available in MyChart. To view notes prior to this date, please submit a request to our Health Information Department.
You will generally receive an answer within 1-3 business days. Please note that MyChart should not be used for urgent situations. Please contact your medical center if the situation requires immediate attention or dial 911 if it is an emergency.
Yes, you can. This is called Proxy access and allows a parent (or guardian) to log into their personal MyChart account, and then connect to information regarding their family member. Request to Share a Record through your MyChart account or complete a Proxy Consent Form and return it to one of our medical facilities to request access to this convenient service.
MyChart offers direct access to your personal health record and communicating about another individual's information would be placed in your health record. This information would not appear in the correct health record and could potentially jeopardize medical care.
No, due to the sensitive nature of medical information, each adult must establish their own MyChart account.
Adolescents can receive their activation codes a variety of ways:
- Adolescents can contact their physician’s office and request an activation code be sent to their mobile device via SMS or to their email address over the phone.
- Adolescents may request an activation code in person at their next office visit or during a telehealth visit.
- An activation code will be printed on the After Visit Summary after an office visit. Please note that the activation code is intended for the adolescent patient, and not the parent/guardian.
Contact our Patient Support Center at (925) 941-2001 and after we verify your information, a new code will be sent via email. Please note that our Patient Support Center is not able to schedule patient appointments.
Log into MyChart and on the top menu, select Profile, then Personal Information, and edit your information.
Please ensure you enter your username exactly the same way as when you signed up for your account (e.g., “macarthur” vs. “mcarthur”).
You may also try logging in with your email address if it is not shared with anyone else. For example, if the email address on your account is the same as the email address on your spouse/partner’s account, then you will not be able to use it to log in.
If your username or email address does not work, please use the Forgot Username link on the MyChart login page.
If you already have a MyChart account, please use the Forgot Username link on the MyChart login page to retrieve your username.
If you don’t have a MyChart account, please contact your doctor’s office to request an activation code.
When retrieving your username, please check for misspellings and make sure you enter the name you used when you created your MyChart account. For example, if you changed your last name your last login, please enter your previous last name to retrieve your username.
Please ensure that you have an active MyChart account. If you do not have an account, we will not be able to retrieve your username. To sign up for an account, please contact your provider and request an activation code to create your account.
If you already have a MyChart account and know your username, please use the Forgot Password link on the MyChart login page to reset your password. If you do not know your username, please use the Forgot Username link on the MyChart login page first. After you’ve retrieved your username, you can proceed to use the Forgot Password link to reset your password.
If you are unable to reset your password, please contact our Patient Support Center at (925) 941-2001 to request a new, secure password. Please note that our Patient Support Center is not able to schedule patient appointments.
Each time you click the Forgot Password link, you will receive an email to reset your password. Please ensure that you are using the latest email to reset your password.
Answers must match exactly what was entered when you set up your security questions (e.g., “University of Colorado Boulder” vs “University of Colorado“). Security answers also take into account spaces between words (e.g., “Dalycity” vs. “Daly city”).
If you are not able to remember the answers to your security questions, please contact our Patient Support Center at (925) 941-2001 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please note that our Patient Support Center is not able to schedule patient appointments.
We take great care to ensure your health information is kept private and secure. Access to information is controlled through secure activation codes, personal usernames, and passwords. Each person controls their password, and the account cannot be accessed without that password. Unlike conventional e-mail, all MyChart messaging is done while you are securely logged on to our website.
MyChart is owned and operated by Epic and is fully compliant with federal and state laws pertaining to your privacy. Your name and e-mail address will be treated with the same care and privacy given your health records and will never be sold or leased by Epic.
We aim to protect your privacy and security of your information. While logged into MyChart, if your keyboard remains idle for 15 minutes or more, you will be automatically logged out of MyChart. We recommend that you log out of your MyChart session if you need to leave your computer for even a short period of time.
You need access to a computer connected to the Internet and an up-to-date browser.
For your security, your activation code expires after 90 days and is no longer valid after the first time you use it. If you still have problems, call our Patient Support Center at (925) 941-2001. Please note that our Patient Support Center is not able to schedule patient appointments.